Tuesday 26 November 2013

Are you covered?

So I've just sent off my brief to the graphic designer who's putting my book cover together. The subject of the email was: "The brief. It's not brief". I've spent the better part of a week looking at ideas and color schemes, and I since I sent my 15-page (!) brief off, I've collected a few more images for my mood board. If he's not tearing his hair out right now, he will once I send him the next mail!

But as an avid reader, I know that I personally judge a book by its cover. At least initially. I do go on to read the blurb, and then take a look inside, but how many others skip over a book immediately based on its cover?

I love the advice given in this article by Cathy Stucker.

The cover forms readers’ first impression of your ebook, and the cover graphic can make or break your ebook. People decide in seconds whether or not they’re interested in a book. Whether in the bookstore or online that gives them about enough time to scan the title and graphics, which makes both critically important in the buying decision.

Read the complete article here.

Here are some of my favorite YA contemporary covers from this year. (Only some of them, you understand. I collected over 100!) What are your top covers from 2013?


I love the simplicity of this design. And the cloud-shape is reminiscent of The Fault in our Stars, so brings back fond memories...









Yes! This is what happy looks like! I like the curve of the setting sun and how the curve of the word "happy" is its reflection.




I enjoy the softness of this cover - and blowing on dandelion flowers reminds me of childhood.

Ooo. Love it! Crisp, sharp, enticing.










Made me laugh! Again, the simplicity gets to me. And the locker and the title draws me in.









Fraught with emotion. Despair. Hopelessness. Love it!










The use of the pages of the book to shape a heart caught my eye immediately. 











Clearly I'm enjoying simplicity this year! Teal is also one of my favorite colors. 










Simple again... And if I reflect on the other covers above, every one has used a very different font that ties in directly with the theme of the book its representing. Interesting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment