Thursday 28 January 2016

A series of fortunate events


During my stocktake at the end of last year, I pulled out every series I could find, partly to find out if we were missing any books within a series and mostly to use as my first display of the new year. It was hugely time-consuming, and halfway through, I did start to doubt myself... But the task ended up having more than one benefit:
  • discovered some hidden gems, like the Spy Girl series!, as well as some undesirables, which have since been donated away.
  • I usually pull out a selection of books for our new Grade 8s at the beginning of every year, but this year, I used Book 1 from every appropriate series.  It was a huge success! Those learners that had already read some of the series were able to promote them to the others, so that was an added bonus.
  • I did a separate display for the rest of the school, using Book 1 of every series in the library, and it was fun to see girls oohing and aahing over the huge selection. 
  • I'm going to promote all these series at the beginning of every term, and at the end of the year, I might do a little more weeding of the unpopular ones...

How do you start the new year in your library?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment